Tuesday, September 07, 2021 by Divina Ramirez
Dogs are notorious for getting their snouts and mouths into things they shouldn’t. Aside from their food, they’ll happily snuffle or scarf up anything they come across, from trash on the sidewalk to flowers in your garden. While some of the things your dog may come across are simply gross, others can be dangerous.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCS) Animal Poison Control Center reported that in 2017, five percent of all calls were related to pets eating plants that were toxic to them. This effectively makes plants ninth on the center’s list of top 10 pet toxins.
If you have dogs, make sure they don’t come into contact with the following toxic plants: (h/t to TheHomesteadingHippy.com)
Your dog doesn’t know to stay away from plants that are poisonous to him. Therefore, it’s up to you as the owner to protect your dog. One of the best ways to keep your dogs out of your plants is to teach them their boundaries. Teach your dog what he can and cannot get close to while he’s still a puppy.
Another good way to protect your dog from poisonous plants is to keep them out of your pet’s reach. Put a toxic floral arrangement on a sturdy table or shelf where even the most curious nose can’t reach. You should also make it a habit to remove fallen leaves or petals around your plants. It only takes a slight breeze to waft potentially deadly items onto the ground where your dog can easily access them.
You should also crate or confine your dog when you’re not at home.
If you know your dog has ingested a poisonous plant, remove them from the area immediately. Make sure your dog is breathing, alert and behaving normally. If your dog isn’t behaving normally, call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency veterinary clinic immediately.
COPYRIGHT © 2017 NATURAL NEWS PETS